Roden 1/72 Scale Gotha G.II/G.III

Model, Text and Photos by: Dennis Ugulano

Part 1

My plan was to turn it out in a very short period of time but reality set it. There is no way this kit can be built in less that four hours, I may have to take as many as 10. So I devised a plan to share my build with anyone that may be interested. The following pages describe, in picture form, the build.
 

My reference material is a little thin in the Gotha department. I will be using "Profile Publications" # 115, The Gotha GI-GV by Peter Grosz and "Color Profiles of World War I Combat Planes" by Apostolo and Begnozzi, pages 161-168. The kit will be built "Out of the Box" with only minor changes. I see that there soon may be a PE sheet for the kit. I may save that for my G.III or G.V. This kit will be for the builder who just wants to put it together as it comes out of the box.

Enough said. Let's get started. 


  

I started with the engines as some of the reviews indicate problems in this area. The reviews are correct. The engines do not fit without some modifications. First of all, I am building a G.II which had 8 cyclinder engines. The kit comes with 6 cyclinder engines for the G.III. If you are so inclined, 2 cyclinders can be added but I chose not to. They cannot be seen when the nacelles are closed up.
The engines were completely assemblied to get a true idea of what needed to be trimmed to get them to fit. When the nacelles are closed, the opening is too small for the engine to fit. So I trimmed and thinned the opening until I got the engine to fit. The four ledges that the engine sits on were timmed ever so slightly to allow the nacelle to close. 
The next step was to install the radiators. They are a little thin on detail so they were rescribed with a knife to give a little detail. The openings were trimmed to allow the radiator to slide in. Very little trimming is needed so be careful. All but three of the louvers were sanded off on both sides as my photos show only three on the G.II. 
After putty and sanding, the nacelles were sprayed with SnJ Metal Spray and left unbuffed. Since the G.II I am building had four blade props, I discarded the kit props and replaced them. The kit prop attachement system was modified slightly and the props will turn on the kit. The fit is so good, that I did not glue the props to the engine. This assembly in now complete, a total of less than two hours acutally building.

 

Go to Part 2