Revell of Germany 1/32 F4U-1D Corsair

Model, Text and Photos by: Steve Negley



Although this kit is marketed as a F4U-1D, the contents is really an early production F4U-1A. Straight out of the box this kit isn't much. It lacks detail, and has some inaccuracies, but in the hands of an experienced modeler it can be the shell of a very impressive model of an F4U.

The basic outline of the kit is pretty accurate for anything from the early F4U-1A to an early production F4U-1D. The engine supplied in the kit has to go. The best thing to do is replace it with the Engine and Things R-2800-8W.


First I started working on the cockpit, since this whole area lacks detail I decided to scratch build the whole interior. For reference to build the interior I used the Detail and Scale publication on the F4U vol.1. All the side panels, seat, and instrument panel, were scratch-built. The kit floorboard was modified by filing away the excess plastic because all F4U's up till the F4U-4 didn't have a floorboard. I left only the foot troughs and the rudder pedals with a small area around where the joystick would be. The interior was then finished out using Waldron instruments and bezels for the instrument panel and the Waldron radio and placard set for the side panels. A Waldron buckle set was used to finish out the seat.

For the most part the overall kit fits together pretty well, the only real problem area is where the upper wing fits up to the fuselage, the reason being that there is no plastic on the fuselage to cement the wing into. I remedied this by adding sheet styrene to the whole wing root area on the fuselage and adding a sheet styrene backing to the inside of the fuselage.

Next came the wings. Lonestar Models offers a very nice aftermarket flap set, a wheel well and gear door set, as well as 3 different styles of tires used by the Corsair. If you decide to use these parts send away for them early into your project because they take about 6-8 weeks for delivery. I started the wing assembly by filing out the oil cooler vent doors and replacing them with some scratch-built ones. Next I filed away all the areas where the flaps are located. The next step was adding the Lonestar wheel wells some fitting and filing will have to be done to the lower wing and the wheel wells to make a proper fit. Be sure to check the fit of the upper wing while fitting the wheel wells and before cementing them into place. Another weak cement point on the model is the area of the wing fold joint, the fit is fairly good but it needs some strengthening this, I fixed by adding some .025 styrene to span the joint and cemented it in place.

After doing all this the model was ready for final assembly. The flaps were added and the model was ready for finishing. For finishing the entire model was primed with PPG Kondar DZ3 automobile grade acrylic lacquer primer. Final finish is Aeromaster non-spec sea blue FS35402, intermediate blue FS35164, and flat white. Decals are Super-scale sheet 32-9, this sheet, unfortunately, is no longer in production.